Saturday, December 27, 2014

Hot Cocoa Mixes

     

     This past Christmas, I tried making some hot cocoa mixes to give as gifts. I ended up doing a hot cocoa and peppermint mix that was fairly simple to put together. The materials/ingredients needed to make these mixes are pictured below. 


Hot cocoa mix | Marshmallows | Mini Chocolate chips | Mini Candy Canes 

Baker's Twine or Ribbons (of choice)

Mason Jars (Pint size, 16 oz)


Instructions: 
1. Clean mason jars and dry. 

2. Add 1/4 cup of marshmallows. 

3. Fill jar 1/3 full with the hot cocoa mix. I used about 3/4 cup. This should come out to about 4 servings per jar. 

4. Gently tap the jar so that the cocoa levels out. 

5. Add 1/2 a cup of mini chocolate chips, mainly spreading them out on the sides of the jar so that they form a visible layer. 

6. Fill the remaining space with marshmallows. 
    6a. Option 1: Place whole mini candy canes in this layer 
    6b. Option 2: Crush candy canes (as shown below) and sprinkle on top of chocolate chip layer. 



6. Cap tightly and decorate as desired. 

And, there you go! You've got your hot cocoa mixes. When I started making the jars, I realized that it probably would have been more convenient to go with a smaller jar. If I were to make these again, I would probably downsize these to the 8 oz jars (~2 servings) so that after one serving, you could directly boil water and pour it in the jar. Just a thought that I am yet to try out.

I got my jars at Michael's craft stores and there were a variety of jars. They even had ones with handles which would also be a great option.

Let me know what you guys think or if you guys have suggestions for me.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment